Monday, May 9, 2011

Gel-Bot Review

I recently received a Gel-Bot from Hydrapak to try out. I was honestly a little nervous about testing this product at first due to my previous history with Gu during a half-marathon. But being the budding triathlete that I am, I’m really confused about how to fuel and the logistics of fueling while on a bike during a race. I’m not comfortable enough to casually eat my Chomps or Fig Newtons, or suck down a pack of gel while whizzing down the road on my bike. The Gel-Bot helps ease some of my fueling anxiety, if I can manage to drink from a bottle on a bike, I can eat Gu too! IMG_4845

When I first opened up the package, I noticed the bottle seemed HUGE. This is a 24oz bottle (they also have a 20oz) and I had my doubts that I could carry it. But once I put it side by side to another hand held, its not so big. My next worry was, how do I carry it? I asked the folks at Outside PR if there was a carrier, and well….yes there is!!!! And was promptly sent one!!!! It also fits very nicely in a regular ol’ bottle holder on a bike and it will make fueling mid ride much easier (and safer!!!) for me! YAY!!! The gel vial holds enough for 2 pack of Gu.

image

IMG_4846The bottle is simple enough to use. Put 1 or 2 packs of Gu in the gel chamber, push up the bottom of the chamber like a push pop to get excess air out, push the chamber onto the lid, and screw the lid onto the bottle. Voila!!!! To drink water you pull the nozzle up all the way, to get gel push it down. Sucking the gel out of a bottle is a TON easier than fiddling with foil packets, awkwardly sucking the gel out of the packet, then having to worry about where to put the empty packet. (OOOO, it burns me up to see athletes toss empty Gu packets on the ground!!!!) This bottle is all-inclusive, no mess, no fussing, all. in. one! I have both run and ridden with it and it worked like a charm. And I dare say, I actually tolerated the Gu. Instead of having to gulp down an entire packet at one time, you can take small sips of it giving my body a steady stream of glucose and electrolytes instead of dumping it into my fragile stomach all at one time!!!! Thank you Gel-Bot for helping me tolerate Gu again!!!!

I have heard some people complain about it being difficult to clean, but I found its easier if you disassemble the gel vial completely and put the small pieces in the utensil part of your dishwasher. Then turn the top of the bottle upside down (so the nozzle is pointing down) with the nozzle open to the gel setting, the little bit of remaining gel in the nozzle will simply ooze out. If you have kids and still have your baby bottle brushes, that would work well too.

One thing I would like to see in possible future models…..I wish the gel tube actually screwed into the top of the bottle. As it is now, it just pushes into the top. I am always a little paranoid that I won’t push it all the way in and the vial of gel will fall off into my water making a weird gel slurry. Other than that its great.

I give the Gel-Bot 4 1/2 parachute jackets!

image

No comments:

Post a Comment